It is my pleasure to welcome you to this course. I will endeavor to provide you with the most effective learning experiences possible. To accomplish this you will be required to participate in this hybrid classroom. This means you will be working in both a classroom and online learning environment throughout the semester.
Here are my expectations.
1. Please do a complete tour of this site so that you are familiar with all parts.
2. I expect you to keep current in your course. Because your courseroom has a different format than other classes, keeping current means maintaining progress on completing all work.
3. Plan to commit 5 to 10 hours per week to your course. As both a student and teacher, I have found that steady progress is essential to success. Aim to make working on your course work a part of your daily life. While I certainly understand that other life priorities can interfere, please have this interference be the exception rather than the rule. Even setting aside one hour a day will to keep you motivated through the learning process.
4. If you are experiencing extenuating circumstances, please let me know. I will do my best to support you through these circumstances, but I can only do this if I am aware of the circumstances.
5. Ask questions. I welcome questions. Questions provide me with the opportunity to better explain a concept that may have also confused some fellow classmates. I also welcome all of your input. Please feel free to share your experiences and expertise. We can all learn from each other.
6. Be polite and respect the efforts of your fellow learners even if you should happen to know other students in any of my classes.
7. My job is to facilitate your progress, so I will periodically offer supplementary information on various aspects of learning and give suggestions for different steps in the learning process.
8. Submit all projects, assignments, and posts through Google Classroom or Google Drive depending on the specific requirements by 8 am of due date.
Assignment (Attach as a MS Word document or Google Doc form)
For your first assignment write and post a self-introduction which would include your hobbies, educational goals, and dream employment. Include a statement discussing your excitement, challenges, or apprehensions as you begin this course. Please make certain that your post is well-written, grammatically correct, and informative. Please remember all post must be a minimum of 100 words. This counts as a minor assessment grade.
My office hours are by appointment. If you need to contact me the best way is to email me at email@example.com.
Dr. Joel L. E. Ferris